District Sant Kabir Nagar is a newly created district in the eastern belt of U.P.. The district came to be known by its present name on account of Sant Kabir, the well known Sant (poet) and philosopher, lived at Maghar in the district. District Sant kabir nagar was created on September 5, 1997 from district Basti. including 131 villages from tahsil Basti, and 161 from tahsil Bansi of district Siddharth Nagar. The district lies among Gorakhpur in the east, Basti in the west, Siddharth Nagar in the north and Ambedkar Nagar in the south.
According to the district statistical department the district covered an area of 1659.15 sq. km. According to the census of 1991 the district has a population 1162138 persons of which 605533 are males and 556505 females of which 81718 persons, resided in urban areas and 1080420 in rural areas. The population density of the district is about 700 per sq. km. while 472 is of the state.
Krishi vigyan Kendra , Santkabirnagar is service provider for planning and conducting Trainings , On Farm Trials anf Front Line Demonstartion in the operational area to empower the farmer community according to their needs.
Objectives of Krishi Vigyan Kendra, SantKabirnagar
- Planning and conducting survey of the operational area in order to prepare the resource inventory with special reference to identifying the training needs of the farming community.
- Planning and conducting production- oriented, need-based short and long duration training courses both on campus as well as in the villages for various target groups with priority on the weaker and the poor.
- Developing and organizing non-formal educational programmes by way of field days, farm visits, farmers fair, radio talk, Farm Science clubs etc. as the follow up information support to training courses.
- Organizing farm science clubs, both in rural schools and in villages in order to induce in younger generation a liking for and an interest for agricultural and allied sciences and scientific farming through supervised projects.
- Developing and maintaining the campus farms and demonstration units on scientific lines as the facilities for providing work experience to the trainees as also disseminating the latest technical know how.
- Providing practical facilities of the Kendra to the teachers and the students of the vocational agriculture of the higher secondary schools.
- Imparting some general education to rural illiterates and school drop-outs in order to make them not only good farmers but also better citizens.
- Providing added training facilities in the areas for home making and nutrition education for rural community.
- Gradually enlarging the training facilities to encompass other important areas such as home crafts , cottage industries etc. consistent to the requirements of the Integrated rural Development in collaboration with concerned organization.
- Implementing all such schemes of the ICAR and other related organizations which intend to strengthen the training programmes of the Kendra.